Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

I hope everyone had an enjoyable Memorial Day holiday. We had a busy weekend with several fun events, none of which had anything to do with Memorial Day. I feel compelled to stop for a moment and remember the actual point of the day, which is to remember those who have given their lives in defense of my freedom to do whatever I damn well please -- a privilege much of the world lacks.

I grew up around the military and have a lot of it in my family background, with my father, both grandfathers and a host of uncles, cousins, friends and others that I am aware of that all served at least some time in the military. Both of my grandfathers fought in World War II, one in the Navy hunting Nazi submarines and the other in the Army freezing his butt off in a foxhole during the Battle of the Bulge, one of the bloodier messes of the war. All of my relatives that I know of have all made it back from the wars in which they fought, but obviously a great number of others have not been so lucky.

I make a large distinction between "supporting the troops" and "supporting the war." The current mess is unforgivable from a leadership perspective, but that should never take away from the sacrifice that the men and women in front of the bullets and bombs are willing to risk. Having lived around the military for much of my life, I am keenly aware that most members do not fit the media stereotypes of bloodthirsty, reckless Rambos or lazy, incompetent Gomer Pyles. The vast majority are hardworking, decent people who are fiercely patriotic and willing to put themselves in harm's way to do what they believe is the right thing. Nobody wants to die for politics or glory. However, millions have given their lives for loftier ideals, and the world would look much different had they all stayed safely at home.

Thank you.

No comments: