Sunday, August 26, 2007

What's a little more debt?

Check out our new ride. It's a 2007 Hyundai Tucson SUV. (If you look close, you can see the top of Mizz's head trying to take it out for a spin already.)


I have to say that it's been about 8 years or so since I bought a car, and after today, I think I can wait another 8 for the next one. I knew going in that I'd have to play the car-sales, if-I-can-can-get-your-payment-down, let-me-go-check-with-the-guys-in-the-back, I'm-really-trying-to-make-this-work-but-I-don't-think-they'll-go-for-it, how-about-that-undercoating, what's-it-going-to-take-to-put-you-in-this-car-today game, but it's still incredibly frustrating when you get into it.

There even seemed to be an extra layer in the process. The first salesman sat with me for a while writing down random numbers that must have been beamed into his head because they had almost nothing to do with what happened later. Then he disappeared into the back and summoned ANOTHER salesman, who then proceeded to do the running in and out of the back hard-sell part of the process while the first kid just sat there looking bored, I assume to keep me from wandering too far.

And they weren't kidding about the undercoating either. Both salesmen pushed it and were shot down. Then the guy at the end, who seemed much nicer and more relaxed and was mainly just the sign-here-and-here-and-here guy, also surprised us by pushing it and having to be denied too. Then, when it was all finished, the first sales guy asked again if I had gone for it. I assume the majority of the cost would have gone into paychecks. No thanks, guys.

In the end, we got what I feel like is a decent deal, although we won't win any haggling awards, I'm sure. We ended up with a fair price on a very safe and reliable vehicle that gives us more flexibility than the beloved but busted ole' Corolla. (Sorry Franny, but the missing hubcap, the puddles on the floor and the fuse-frying taillights probably indicated that it was time for her to retire. I'm sure she's going to go live on a farm where she can play with other old Corollas and be happy.)

I just wish I didn't feel like I had just gone 15 rounds with Jackie Chan by the time it was over. Jackie and I both felt like we came out of the deal okay, but neither one of us seemed to enjoy it much. I don't mean to be completely negative. I like the car and I'm happy with both it and the fact that we can put car hunting behind us. I just wish the experience didn't have to suck so much.

At least we made the Mizz happy. His only request when we asked what kind of car he wanted was "Blue." I suppose Arctic Mist will do.

2 comments:

Franny said...

Damn Dsve you are funny! My Corolla on a farm. You should write more. Love you babe.

Christine said...

Dang. Sorry the experience sucked. I wonder what the relationship is - do more off-line car dealers have to haggle more? When I bought my Civic, it was actually a fairly pleasant experience. But I was buying an EXTREMELY popular car, and I'd research exactly what the going rate was in our area. I was firm, and I ended up getting a bit LESS than I expected. It was still over the MSRP, but that is what the cars were going for at the time. I do love that dealership. They do all our maintenance work too. Anyway! Glad you've got your new ride. I can't wait to see it.