Sunday, August 5, 2007

The United States of Baseball?



I'm not a huge baseball fan, having grown up in the Army with no particular regional loyalty, but I found this map interesting. For a lot of the time I lived in Virginia, the Orioles were as close as we got to a home team, so they were pretty much it, although I did root for my grandmother's Mariners. (She's a much bigger fan than I've ever been.)

Anyway, I came across this map on the Strange Maps blog, which is a fun place to hang out and look around (if you're me anyway). I know I'm related to at least a couple rabid sports fans, so I'm curious how accurate this map seems to be. (Click on it for a bigger, easier to read version.) Locally in Oregon's Willamette Valley, it looks like we're supposed to be split right down the middle for the Mariners and the Giants, but I see a lot more spirit here for Seattle than San Francisco, even when I'm travelling outside the Portland area. I see occasional Giants paraphernalia, but then I see random bits from lots of other teams too. Does this map hold even remotely true for the rest of the country or is it just a figment of someone's imagination? Inquiring minds want to know.

1 comment:

Grandpa Phil said...

Interesting map. There seems to be some logic behind the artwork.

In the "old days" before major league baseball expanded from 2 leagues of 8 teams each, regional radio networks extended the fan base of each team. The NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals were a few teams with a wide radio supported fan base.

In any case, it seems likely that Mizz will be exposed to LA Dodger lore before too long.