Sunday, August 12, 2007

Another Strange Map: Solar Eclipses



This is another fun map from Strange Maps, although the graphic is actually from NASA. (Click on it for a much larger, readable version.) It shows all total solar eclipses that will occur between 2001 and 2025. It looks like Oregon is in luck in 2017, although I think we may have to scoot a little south of Portland for the full effect. It's only 10 years out. It that too far to plan? (I don't know Dave, what are you doing later this afternoon? Huh?) Maybe 10 years is a stretch, but it's still cool to look forward to it.

On a side note, the predictability of astronomical activity has always amused me. Scientists can tell me exactly where to be in a thousand years to catch a particular lunar eclipse, but they can't tell me with any kind of certainty whether or not it's going to rain tonight.

No comments: