Saturday, June 23, 2007

We're off soon

We're taking off for Colorado this afternoon. We've somehow managed to fit our stuff into two suitcases although one of them is only a couple pounds under the limit. We should be okay though. We found this handy packing guide on-line. Once we get through the getting-there part, things should be fun. Tomorrow anyway.

This week is the Bailey family reunion in Estes Park, Colorado. I know I've learned all the connections in the past, but I'm a little fuzzy now. Basically the Baileys were a couple about four or five generations back, and this is a gathering of all their various descendants, or the ones that can make it anyway. We do it every three years and it's been happening for 20-25 years. I think there were 70 or so people at the first one, but subsequent ones have been smaller. The official estimate for this one stands at 53, last I heard. We move the gathering around each time so far-flung relatives can make at least some of them, but this year it's back to the Colorado roots. The biggest chunk of people still live there and it's centrally located. Plus it's very Midwestern, so everyone's nice. We almost never see most of these relatives, so as busy as it'll be, I am really looking forward to it.

I'm a little worried about the outdoor activities though.

[Addendum 7/1/07: Having just returned from the reunion, I can clarify some of the fuzzy stuff above. It is the Brooks reunion, not Bailey. The first one was called the Brooks/Bailey reunion after the couple in question and included other great uncles and aunts and such, which is why it was larger. The name also stuck with me and apparently confused me after 20-odd years. The particular Brooks/Bailey couple whose descendants reunited were my great grandparents. I remember meeting William Brooks, but it was a long time ago and I'm sure he would have seemed very old to me even if he wasn't. Anyway, 4 generations of family were represented, the last being the Mizz and his level of cousins. So there.]

No comments: