Saturday, March 3, 2007

Promised Pics of Hawaii (1 month late)

Here goes nothing. Can Dave post a picture? How about 5?




Some sort of natural lava arch. I just liked it.

The beginning of many miles of lava that crossed Chain of Craters Road in the last 20 odd years. 10 or 20 miles down the road it also covered an entire town. Not crazy fast like the movies. No, these poor people had to watch their town covered and destroyed in slow motion. Apparently some people have started to rebuild above their old houses, even though it just a thick layer of rock. As one local put it, that's where you build if that happens to be the only pile of rocks that you own. I guess if you had beach front property, you made out like a bandit, what with all the new rocks in your front yard.

This is where the lava was actually entering the ocean on the day we were there. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to walk out to it. Apparently it's quite a fireworks show at night.

I saw a lot of postcards that appeared to have posed pictures kind of like this, but as far I could tell, this was the real thing. I was standing on about 6 or 8 feet of lava that had crossed the road and trapped a sign. I was impressed that I could read this one. Another sign that might have been a speed limit sign had all of the black paint burned (melted/boiled?) off and was just white.


Here I was standing in the crater if Kilauea looking down into the caldera, or maybe vice-versa. Anyway it was steaming all around us and it struck me as odd that I was standing around playing tourist in the crater of an active volcano. Not active like Mt. Hood is technically active. This one is currently dumping molten lava into the ocean. What a strange place for a photo op.


No comments: