Tuesday, March 6, 2007

I Like Lambs

I don't know if this shows too much feminine side or too much immaturity, but dammit, lambs are cute. I don't care about the look of them exactly. It's just that I pass a ton of them driving up and down I-5 and the lambs look like a bunch of toddlers playing and carousing as their parents stand around and have boring conversations about the weather. They're all still pretty small right now, and very playful.

On a related note, I learned recently that most of the sheep I see up and down the valley are not locals. Apparently, they come from further east, mainly Colorado. When it's too cold for them to find food, the owners load them up on trucks and bring them to the grass seed fields of the Willamette Valley (grass seed capital of the world, or so they say). During the winter, the fields are just sitting there, so the ranchers get a cheap place to feed their sheep, the farmers get a little extra money, the sheep get abundant food and temperate weather, and the grass gets chewed up and crapped on. Supposedly, this is good for the grass. Whatever.

No comments: