Friday, November 2, 2007

Why Twitter?

For those of you unaware, one of Web 2.0's more annoying, yet for some reason, popular features is Twitter. It is similar to a blog, but you can only add very small messages. The theory is that you continually update your audience, presumably your friends and family, on the mundane activities of your daily life. "Going to lunch now. Tacos, I think." "Eating a burrito instead." "Back from lunch now. Catching up on email." "Drooling on keyboard." Can't you just taste the excitement?

Anyway, I live with the live action version of this phenomenon in the form of the Mizz. He's at a wonderful stage where he's learning words as fast as possible, but has not yet developed a filter between a thought and an out-loud statement. I'm sure it's just practicing to see if he gets the expected reaction, but from the other end, it gets a little old. Putting him to bed now goes something like this: "Turn off the star light. Music on. Turn off the hoodle (little) light. Chill out on Daddy. I huggin' Daddy. Night night Daddy, see you ina moning. Daddy gonna go out. Daddy goin' out. [Muffled through the door...] Daddy out." This is pretty continuous. "One on and one off upstair. That's a stereo. I eat turkey and bread at school. I pway wif da wed ball; Mama pway wif the blue ball." On and on and on...

Why a full grown adult would want to live like this just because it's on the internet is beyond me. Perhaps I'm older than I feel.

1 comment:

Franny said...

What is this Web 2.0 you keep talking about? Can I get it or should I wait for Web 3.0 or 2.1 or whatever? Is it worth it?

Twitter seems absolutely ridiculous to me. But then again I am old too and still don't always answer my cell phone.