Monday, November 19, 2007

How smart do I write?



So, as of the previous post, I am apparently writing at a Junior High level according to the Blog Readability Test. I have to admit that I'm feeling a little inadequate after learning that fact. I mean, I wasn't exactly an English major, but c'mon.

I'm not actually sure how this reading level is determined. The website doesn't say what it takes into consideration, but I'm assuming there's stuff about sentence length and complexity, and probably some keywords it looks for. Maybe even something about proper grammar and spelling. Who knows?

Something else I just considered... Is it desirable to be at the Genius end or the Elementary School end? I've plugged some friends into the site and they span the whole range, even though they all seem like smart people. The site gives no clue whether a higher education rating means that you are smarter and it shows in your writing, or that you write things in such a complex way that people need more education just to figure out what you mean. I guess I should be happy in the middle of the pack. Satisfyingly mediocre.

No comments: