Friday, July 20, 2007

Correct use of Ironic?

Franny and I decided to veg out and flip on the TV tonight. Not normally news, but we rarely do it. Nothing righteous; we just don't seem to care about TV much. Anyway, it reminded me of some movie I saw some time ago (How's that for vague? Maybe somebody can remember the movie for me.) where and old guy claims not to watch TV because it's always the same. Somebody turns on to a rerun of "I Love Lucy" and he says something like "Yep, same as last time." Anyway, we sat there realizing that we are enjoying "Seinfeld." A fine show sure, but "same as last time."

Anyway, the point is that we turned on the television for the first time in probably weeks. The ironic part is that after giving up on the brain-melting effect that is summer TV, I'm surfing the internet and find out that July 20th is National No TV Day. Granted, the nation is the United Kingdom, and the day is basically a protest against the cancellation of some show you've never heard of, but it seemed like an ironic thing to find that we picked the exact day to tune in.

Now, that's not a very interesting story, but my question is, does it qualify as ironic, or is it just another Alanis Morissette line?

1 comment:

Franny said...

Methinks it is just just plain ole coincidence. Funny to be sure, but not ironic. Did you really want an answer. I think it was silly of me to say that TV is still exactly the same as we were watching a rerun of a show that has been off the air for years. But what I really meant was that the commercials still scream the same stuff and really, watching commercials seems silly in the age of DVR, ipod, and broadband.