Sunday, February 4, 2007

Back Home

[Some of this was written in the San Francisco airport, but I wasn't connected at the time, so if it sounds disjointed, it was. I don't care. I was just bored and needed a way to pass the time.]

Just sitting here stuck in the San Francisco airport. The flight from Honolulu was a little bumpy but ended up getting in a half hour early. Then I learned that my connection to Portland is 2 hours late. Nice. Franny and Mizz were going to pick me up, but not anymore. Too bad. I was looking forward to that. Now I have to wait until tomorrow morning to see the little guy, and that's going to be awfully early for someone on Hawaii Standard Time (3:30-4:00 am to be specific). Worth getting up for though, but maybe not staying up. :) -- (written 3:20 pm, February 2nd)

Still waiting. The flight has been delayed further. We are now at about a 2 1/2 hour delay. that means 4 1/2 hours sitting in the airport and getting home at maybe 9:30 pm or later. This all for a 1 1/2 hour flight. It looks like I can blame Washington, DC. It's their plane we're waiting for. On another note, an announcement keeps playing telling us that the Homeland Security threat level has been raised to Orange. I don't know why. It doesn't include any further instructions or restrictions, so what's the point? Am I supposed to be extra frightened for this leg of the flight? What's my job in responding to this threat? Especially since as far as I know, we are usually at Orange anyway. Ports and industries and such do different things for different threat levels, but not us regular people as far as I know. -- (written 6:10 pm, February 2nd)

Well, I made it back home finally. We got loaded up a little before 7:00 pm and left at 7:10, a full 5 minutes before the next flight to Portland. We win. It was late and I was tired, hence the delay getting these notes on-line.

It's good to be home, although, as expected, yesterday morning was pretty early and involved a lot of coffee. I did manage to stay up though. Go me.

Franny set up a babysitter for this afternoon, so we got to go out for a little while and see what it's like. We need to do that more often. Lebanese dinner followed by Cold Stone Creamery. Not a bad afternoon. We also checked out vintage shops for a cheap-but-not-too-ugly hanging lamp for our living room. Mizz managed to learn to crawl under the coffee table so he could knock over the pole lamp we had. It didn't survive. Now we'll escalate and put in a hanging one. We didn't find anything good today, but soon I'm sure. If that doesn't work, we go nuclear (nucular?).

One of these days, I'll have to learn how to add pictures and put up something from Hawaii. Franny does it all the time, so it probably isn't terribly difficult (no offense F). If I have trouble, I'll have to turn in my Geek Club membership card. It would help to at least give it a shot though. Maybe tomorrow. I guess I can be lazy and still be a geek.

No comments: