Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day!  Whether you celebrate the Christian Saint, the cheesy romance, the massacre, or something else, everybody has an opinion.  Enjoy it however you want.

Franny and I both used to hate the day.  Actually, hate is too strong a word.  Apathy is closer.  (I may have mentioned this before, but...)  However, 10 years ago today, we took it back from the monsters in the greeting card industry.  You see, ten Valentine's Days ago, Franny agreed to marry me.  Since we still like each other after all this time, we still like the day.  We don't go overboard, but we do make sure to take the excuse to eat too much chocolate.  (Of course, other things, like rain or Tuesday, are good excuses too.)

My proposal was simple, but effective.  I found several conversation hearts that said "MARRY ME" and decorated a cupcake with them.  (It was one of the sad, mass-produced cupcakes from the grocery store bakery with too much sickly-sweet icing that Franny for some reason, LOVES.)  I was nervous as hell, and my overtired bride-to-be almost ate the snack without looking at the messages, but I slowed her down and the job got done.

For fun this year, I got another bag and dug out all the "MARRY ME" ones again.  Apparently morals have changed in 10 years, as there was a grand total of one.  However, there were several saying "FAX ME".  Perhaps, in 10 more years, they'll add "TEXT ME", you know, to keep up with the times.  There was also one that said "30 GIRL".  Can anyone tell me what that's supposed to mean?

No comments: