Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I'm sorry Franny


I owe Franny an apology. To be honest, this situation will hurt me too, but Franny will probably have to deal with it more, and I pretty much brought it on myself anyway.

What you see above is a toy cash register. We got it at the Value Village, which is a Goodwill sort of store if you've never seen one. We find this is a good place to get silly little toys that will be quickly outgrown and sometimes we even get lucky and find something good. This particular find includes a credit card, which the Mizz just thinks is awesome. When Franny tried to put batteries in it, it emitted an ear-piercing squeal and was quickly deemed blissfully broken. This worked okay. The cash drawer still worked, and the Mizz still liked sliding the card in the non-working slot.

As you may notice by the numbers on the screen, it is no longer broken. It goes like this. The cash drawer has since stopped opening. Tough. However, this evening, the Mizz brought it to me with the drawer slightly open and wanted it all the way open. It has a couple of other toys stuck in it, which was the problem in the first place. I found a screwdriver and opened it up to get the toys out. While I was in there, I noticed what was causing the electronics to malfunction. Idiot savant that I am, I decided to fix it.

Upon insertion of the batteries, it became clear that the cash register now works. More importantly, the Mizz was there and is also aware that it works. The button on the left that looks like a scanner makes a noise that is very much like a real scanner beep. The number buttons are a functional calculator with a very quite beep. And the slot on the right, when swiped with the toy credit card, makes a noise that is neither quiet nor anything like swiping a credit card. It is an irritating series of beeps that would foment riots and murder if they actually happened constantly in every checkout stand on earth.

To make matters worse, if you decide that, instead of swiping the credit card, you poke it into the slot like the Mizz does, the button gets stuck and the series of beeps repeats ad infinitum. It's easy enough to stop, but not if you are the Mizz. Plus he likes it, so he has no intention of learning to stop it. So now to add insult to injury, I have to repair this thing again so that the button can't stick.

Why couldn't I have just left broke enough alone?

No comments: