Saturday, April 7, 2007

Happy Passover

Are you even supposed to wish someone a happy passover? Is it appropriate to wish happiness when commemorating oppression and slavery by ancient Egyptians. Maybe "Merry Passover" would be better.

Ours was definitely merry anyway. We went to a Seder this afternoon, which is a few days late, but it was a potluck event put together the Portland J-Mamas, all parents of toddlers, so it was the best we could do. It wasn't traditional per se, but we did okay. The person with the Hagaddah (the official prayer book that is followed for the beginning of the meal) was late, so we started with My First Passover Board Book. Everybody seemed okay with it and it was educational to me anyway. Most of the rest of the time was spent chasing children, which made for some disjointed conversations. I'm glad we were able to do something this year. A Seder is usually a large family/friends event, and I know Franny has been sad that we haven't been able to attend one out here since all her family is still back east. It's nice to stay connected to your roots and I'm glad she found a way to do so. Plus I got to do something social, which happens far too rarely.

In honor of Passover, I just wanted to note that I ran across by far the best holiday paraphernalia ever in one of Franny's magazines, the 10 Plagues wine markers. Click on the picture for a bigger version.



In case you can't read them, this picture shows what the charms represent. I know that half my readership, such as it is, already knows this stuff by heart, but we can't all be Chosen People.


Merry Passover!


3 comments:

Franny said...

I forgot about the treacherous cattle disease. As for wild beasts, I think our house has been afflicted.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

These wine markers are neat. I'd not seen them before; they might "spice up" our seder next year.

Sounds like you had a nice seder. Totally appropriate for the kids to be running around; older kids get to hunt for the afikomen matzoh.

Janet and I noted this year that Hallmark seems to have embarked on a campaign to promote Passover cards; neither of us remembered Passover cards being prevalent in the past.

Phil

Anonymous said...

Dave,

I forgot to mention, for a "definitive" look at Passover customs check out the seder episode of the Curb Your Enthusiasm DVD I sent Franny. Rob Corddry is one of the seder guests.

Phil